We're dedicated to quality & serving the community
Among Ellis Medicine's honors:
- A New York State designated Primary Stroke Center and recipient of the Gold/Gold Plus Award from the American Stroke Association (2007-2015).
- A fully accredited Center of Excellence by the American College of Surgeons and the American Society of Metabolic and Bariatic Surgery.
- A Blue Distinction Center for Bariatric Care, Cardiac Care and for Knee & Hip Replacement as awarded by BlueCross BlueShield of Northeastern New York.
- 2013 MassExcellence Gold Baldrige Award winner, recognized for our dedication and work to create a culture and systems where innovation and performance excellence become the accepted norm.
- 5 Rings Award by IntelliCentrics, Inc. in recognition for excellence in vendor credentialing and creating a culture of vigilance, making hospitals safer for employees and patients.
- 2013 “Corporation of the Year” designated by the Chamber of Schenectady County.
2014 Community Service & Quality Report
Community Health Needs Assessment, Community Service Plan, and Implementation Strategy
Pursuant to the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010, every three years not-for-profit hospitals such as Ellis Medicine are required by IRS regulations to develop and make available to the public a Community Health Needs Assessment and Implementation Strategy. Additionally, as a not-for-profit hospital in New York State, Ellis Medicine, working in conjunction with Schenectady County Public Health Services (SCPHS) and other community partners, is required by the state Department of Health to compile a Community Service Plan on the same three-year cycle to address identified health priorities in our service area.
Ellis works with the Healthy Capital District Initiative (HCDI) to identify health needs in Schenectady County and across the entire Capital Region, and with the Schenectady Coalition for a Healthy Community (SCHC) to develop community-wide responses to those needs. In 2013, the innovative “UMatter Schenectady” health needs survey was conducted door-to-door in all neighborhoods of the City of Schenectady. In 2016, this was followed by an extensive evaluation of public health data as well as a telephone survey covering the entire County.
Here are links to documents including the 2013 and 2016 Community Health Needs Assessments, Community Service Plans, and Implementation Strategies:
If you have comments on any of the documents, please click here
More Quality Measures
There are many factors that should be considered when choosing a hospital, including accreditation by a nationally recognized agency like the The Joint Commission, reputation, experience and qualifications of physicians, and the range of services provided, among others.
There are also various hospital report cards that can provide quality information. These report cards are intended to improve the overall quality of care and help people make informed healthcare decisions.
Many different report cards exist, making the process of evaluating healthcare organizations challenging with conflicting information and different ratings. In an effort to be consistent, Ellis Medicine reports its quality measures to:
- The Joint Commission Quality Check
- Department of Health Hospital-Acquired Infection Report
- Department of Health Hospital Profile Quality Section
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Compare
Ellis does not report to other report cards such as Niagara Health Quality Coalition or Leapfrog Hospital Safety Score as these aren’t recognized as leading quality report cards.
Read more on hospital report cards with the Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) Report on Report Cards.
In addition to sampling hospital report cards you should also talk with friends and neighbors about their hospital experiences and consult with your doctor in order to make a well-informed decision that you can be comfortable with.
If you have any questions about Ellis Medicine’s quality of care or about a score Ellis received on a hospital report card, please contact Ellis’ Quality Services Department at 518.243.4196.
As a not-for-profit organization, Ellis Medicine is dedicated to being a good steward of its resources. To this end, Ellis Medicine, which is overseen by a volunteer board of trustees, strives to be as transparent as possible in its operations. In addition to the financial summary in our annual community report, we invite you to view the following financial information:
Ellis Medicine Consolidated Financial Statement (2021)
Ellis Medicine Consolidated Financial Statement (2020)
Ellis Medicine Consolidated Financial Statement (2019)
Ellis Medicine Consolidated Financial Statement (2018)
Ellis Medicine Form 990 (2020) and Form 990-T (2020)
Ellis Medicine Form 990 (2019) and Form 990-T (2019)
Ellis Medicine Form 990 (2018) and Form 990-T (2018).
Ellis Medicine Form 990(2016)
Ellis Medicine Form 990 (2017)
To learn more about Ellis Medicine, please call 518.243.3333.