Heart Valve Clinic
Expert evaluation for the best course of treatment
Ellis Medicine’s nationally recognized Wright Heart Center now offers a Cardiac Valve Clinic for patients with aortic valve disease or suspected heart valve problems. This program can provide aortic valve disease patients with a one-stop evaluation from both a cardiothoracic surgeon and cardiologist, during a single, same-day appointment, to determine the best course of treatment.
New Hope for Patients Unsuitable for Surgery
The Clinic offers patients with severe aortic stenosis, who are not suitable for surgery or considered "untreatable," direct access to a national trial for transcatheter aortic-valve implantation (TAVI) - a minimally invasive aortic valve replacement procedure. TAVI is done through a catheter inserted either in the femoral artery via an incision in the groin or between the ribs.
Ellis is pleased to be working closely with Massachsettts General Hospital to refer qualified patients to the PARTNER (Placement of Aortic Transcatheter Valves) Trial. Massachusetts General Hospital is one of about 25 sites in the U.S. and Canada participating.
One-year data from the trials shows significantly lower mortality rates (30.7% with TAVI vs. 50.7% risk with standard treatment). TAVI patients also demonstrate enhanced quality of life, especially in terms of mobility and ability to exercise. There is an increased risk of stroke associated with TAVI (5% vs. 1.1% for standard open heart patients). Ellis Cardiac Valve Clinic offers qualified patient direct and prompt access to the Massachusetts General Hospital program.
Benefits of Ellis' Cardiac Valve Clinic
- One-stop, same-day evaluation by a Cardiothoracic Surgeon and Cardiologist
- All heart valve patients - moderate and severe cases - are evaluated
- Direct and prompt referal for qualified severe aortic valve stenosis patients to Massachusetts
- General Hospital’s TAVI program (an advanced, minimally invasive procedure not offered locally, but only through the PARTNER trial)
- Comprehensive treatment options available through Ellis Medicine’s nationally recognized Wright Heart Center
Cardiac Valve Clinic
- MONDAYS: 1pm, with echocardiogram testing scheduled prior if needed
- LOCATION: The Office of Ellis Cardiothoracic Surgeons, Ellis Hospital, Schenectady
- PHONE: 518.243.3610
The Cardiac Valve Clinic is staffed by heart specialists from Cardiology Associates of Schenectady and Ellis Medicine. A physician’s referral is required.
For more information about the Wright Heart Center, please call 518.831.8840.