Cancer – Early Detection and Diagnosis
Skilled professionals and new technology improve the odds
A leader in medical imaging
Early detection is critical to effectively treating cancer and saving lives. New tests and advanced medical imaging systems are helping physicians and oncologists recognize and treat early stage cancer. Ellis has long been a leader in medical imaging, and employs procedures such as surgical biopsy, blood testing, endoscopy and colonoscopy to detect and diagnose cancer. All of Ellis Medicine’s diagnostic services are performed by skilled professionals using state-of-the-art technology.
In addition to diagnosis and detection, Ellis Medicine’s advanced medical imaging facilities create sophisticated three-dimensional images of tumor sites, so doctors can plan the most effective treatments with the least impact on healthy tissue.
Ellis Medicine’s diagnostic imaging capabilities include:
- CT (Computed Tomography) - Ellis’ 64-slice CT scanner produces detailed three-dimensional (3-D) images of the body, more quickly than ever before. Ellis uses new computer software to reduce a patient’s exposure to radiation during a CT scan by up to 40% -- a major advancement and safety benefit for patients.
- Digital Mammography - Coupled with computer assisted detection capability, digital mammography provides enhanced images and the ability to closely examine any areas of concern. At Bellevue Woman's Center, our radiologists focus exclusively on medical breast imaging and gynecology imaging.
- MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) - Ellis Medicine’s MRI capabilities are among the fastest and most powerful in the Capital Region, producing detailed 2-D and 3-D body images for diagnosis and treatment planning.
- PET (Positron Emission Tomography) - PET imaging through New York Oncology Hematology is offered at the Ellis Health Center to provide physicians with information about the chemical function of a patient's body - a critical tool in the diagnosis of various types of cancer.
- Ellis works with the American Cancer Society, Schenectady County Cancer Services and other community partners to provide free screenings for prostate, colorectal, gynecologic and breast cancer to serve uninsured members of our community.
For more information about cancer care at Ellis Medicine, please call 518.243.4317.